Saturday, September 24, 2011

Plagues

It was 93 degrees outside on the first day of fall. Ninety-three degrees and bone dry. How dry?


So dry that I raised a cloud of dust just by standing.




So dry that every photo I tried to take was blurry yellow-brown.

Yes, the dust is unpleasant. But the light, fluffy soil that fills the air (and is great for growing onions), also grows my mortal enemy:

Puncture vine.




AKA, goat heads.
AKA, the things that I track around with me everywhere I go.
Heat and dust and puncture vine are not what we're here to talk about though. I'm here to talk about culicoides.

They call them no-see-ums, so look closely while you can.

We had a cold spring and a late summer, so here, all of a sudden at the end of September, the bugs have arrived.

Quincy stopped shaking long enough for a picture. I see at least eight flies on him.

Bunny's tail never stops.

Blue's eyes were red and swollen from the constant irritation.
 Something had to be done. So I got out the arsenal:


The nice thing about it being 93 degrees is that I could safely give Blue an early-fall scrubbing. I spent an hour working medicated shampoo into this:

Hair loss and dermatitis caused by culicoides and the neck threadworms that they transmit. Blue has a lot of these nasty patches of so-called sweet itch.
Then I drenched him in Flysect, smeared his face with Swat, hit all the sweet itch patches with EQyss gel, and topped it all off with a fly mask. The end result looks a lot like what I started with... minus the flies!

Who's a pretty boy? Blue is!

2 comments:

  1. Goatheads! I'd never heard of them, and now I've read TWO blogposts this week about them. Here's Funder's" http://bit.ly/o1RUyx

    We've got buggies too, bah! Cold weather is good for something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that Funder has the same problem. I keep going barefoot in the house and regretting it at least twice a day.

    ReplyDelete